Vicky Kaushal on important aspects of work and personal life
Kanksha Vasavada (THE ECONOMIC TIMES; June 28, 2023)

Vicky Kaushal, who posed for us on a recent visit to Ahmedabad, also ticked eating fafda-jalebi and khaman off his bucket list. The Sardar Udham actor opened up about his choice of projects and even shared some tips for a happy married life. Excerpts from the chat with him:

How did you choose to become an actor
Back in school, I used to do a lot of plays. I was a good dancer and a decent actor but had never thought I’d take up as my career. I think the turning point came during an industry visit to Navi Mumbai, when I was a second-year engineering student. Our professor told us, ‘This is where you will be coming after your graduation.’ I saw people hunched behind their computer desks, eyes glued to their screens and something snapped in me. I realized I couldn’t do this, I was not cut out for a 9-5 job. I decided to do what I love to most - performing in front of people. Since then, there has been no turning back for me. Theatre was the best teacher I could have. It taught me not to think and act, it taught me to be there.

How do you choose a film?
When I have a script narration, I think of the audience first. I try to see if I can relate to the subject as an audience, and if that happens, I say yes to the project. But I also make sure that there is something different for me- either the script or the character, something that challenges me. I also take into consideration the director and the production house.

Tips for a good marriage
For any marriage to run smoothly, patience is a must for both partners. It is not easy for two people to always agree about everything. That’s where understanding and maturity come in. In the last one-and-a-half years of my marriage, I have understood that to evolve in a beautiful way together, patience is the key. I try to be the best version of the husband I can be. I love my wife, I love my family, I’m in love with life. But I’m as flawed as any other man.