Veteran actress Salma Agha's daughter Zara Khan following mommy’s footsteps

Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; June 5, 2023)

Singer Zahrah Khan, daughter of renowned yesteryear singer-actor Salma Agha, is following in her mother’s footsteps. She recently sang the tracks Ghar Nahi Jaana from Gumraah and Kudiyee Ni Teri from Selfiee, along with several independent songs and even opened for Nigerian singer Rema’s concert in Mumbai.

Zahrah’s mother, who is known for her ghazals like Dil Ke Arman Ansuon Mein, also starred in movies like Nikaah. Ask Zahrah whether she wants to pursue a career in acting like her mom, and she says, “My mom had also started off as a singer and then stepped into films. I will be in a film soon”.

She adds, "Being around my mother at home is like training every day. Even now, when I have my shows, I always run my list by her because I know there might be something she could advise me about. She keeps saying, ‘You’d better do as well as I did in both singing and acting’. So, there’s constant pressure from her to excel in both, but it’s a good pressure to have and I enjoy it. While my mother is always there for me, she leaves my career decisions to me. She says, ‘You are doing good, and you have the right people around you, which is most important’."

Zahrah has grown up in Mumbai and has a deep connect with the city. “We have had a house in Bombay for over 50 years now. Bombay is where I have grown up. It’s my Nani’s house," she says talking about her love for this city. And that was one of the reasons, she was excited to be a part of the Rema concert here as this was her first such performance in the city.

"I was nervous but extremely excited to open Rema’s concert in Mumbai. It was a big deal for me! Calm Down is one of the biggest hits, and I love it. When I met him, I realized he was so humble and down to earth. It was exciting to meet someone who is already doing so well, wanting to know about another artiste like me."