‘My mum raised me as she was growing up herself’
Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 14, 2023)

It’s been a ritual for actor Shriya Pilgaonkar to write letters and give a bouquet to her actor-mother Supriya Pilgaonkar on Mother’s Day. Continuing with the tradition Shriya also has another plan, “She really wants me to cook for her, so I shall. And then I would send her for a massage,” shares the Guilty Minds actor.

Surpiya was 22, when her daughter Shriya was born. The latter states that the two “grew up together”. “She raised me as she was growing up herself,” she adds. Shriya reveals how her mother — despite being strict — has never restricted her. “She wanted me to have all the experiences in life and has given me the freedom to discover myself,” the actor mentions.

Shriya calls her mother a “naughty child”. “She has a great sense of humour and she is quite witty. People think she is the kind of Maa, who wouldn’t yell but she yells,” The Broken News actor quips. What are the reasons for Supriya to lose her temper?

“She gets upset if cleanliness of my room is not as per her standards or if I’m not eating properly. And I laugh when she loses her temper. I tell her that her fans need to see this side of hers,” the 34-year-old replies.

Mothers in general are multi-taskers, Shriya admits, Supriya made sacrifices for her. “When I was training for swimming, she would wake up at four in the morning. The person I am today is because of all these efforts my mom has made,” she recalls.

With time, tables have turned. The one who used to pack the bags is now being taken care of. “Whenever we go out, I am the one taking care of her. It’s like me taking my child on a trek,” she mentions.

Shriya wishes to take her mother’s legacy forward. “I absolutely love my mom on screen and on stage. She is very honest about my performances. Her validation and opinions are important to me. My parents have seen a lot, it was important for me to carry myself with the grace that my parents have. Gaining goodwill is the most important thing. And for my mother hits and misses don’t matter. For her, how I deal with life is the most important thing,” she ends.