IT’S HARDER FOR
A GUY TO GET
WORK THAN A
GIRL: GURFATEH
Gurfateh Pirzada says there are more opportunities for women in showbiz; shares what kept him going during tough times
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 10, 2023)

Gurfateh Pirzada has waited for the current phase of his career for a long time, as work is now coming his way. His web projects Guilty (2022) and Class helped him get noticed. In fact, even Brahmastra Part One: Shiva (2022)worked for him.

“I was 21 when I auditioned for Brahmastra. We started shooting in 2017, when I was 22, and now I am 27. Basically, the wait for me has been incredibly long, as was everyone’s connected with the film. My role was much bigger, but obviously on the editing table, it gets chopped because of time constraint,” shares the actor.

Ask what kept him going in all those years, when he didn’t have work in hand and Gurfateh says, “A lot of things kept me afloat. My family and my sister, Mehreen Pirzada, who also started acting. Luckily, she started getting acknowledged and work started coming her way very early in her career. She gave me the freedom to wait it out and take my time, and not rush into things. It’s harder for a guy than a girl. If there are 10 opportunities for a girl, there is one for a guy. How often do you hear of male actors being launched or a new actor coming? But things are changing now.”

Sharing how his family supported him and respected his dream of being an actor, Gurfateh adds, “My family gave me the freedom to take my time. It obviously wasn’t easy. I was doing theatre and honing my craft every day. I know opportunities take time and I wanted to be ready (in terms of preparation) when they came.”