Music mafia has always existed: Neha Bhasin
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 16, 2023)

Ever since composer Amaal Mallik tweeted about the existence of campism and power play in the Bollywood music industry, there have been many conversations around it. Singer Neha Bhasin admits that music mafias exist and adds that there is a tendency of isolating the people who talk about it. 

“From having a whole hierarchy system in place to music mafia, they have all existed in the industry for a long time, which is sad,” says Bhasin.

The 40-year-old recalls the legal case she filed when she was denied credit for a song. “I fought a case against music director Anand Raj Anand when I was 23. I won the case, but was still not credited for the song (Ek Look Ek Look from the 2006 film Aryan). For the next five-six years, people were scared to work with me. Singers have to fight a long battle for the right credit and work, and there is no one to motivate us,” says the Jag Ghoomeya (Sultan; 2016) hitmaker, as she lauds the Indian Singers Rights Association (ISRA) for signing a contract with the Indian Music Industry (IMI) to safeguard the interests of musicians.

She adds, “It is a great move. There are people who have just given up on the fight because there is a tendency to isolate them and ostracize them till the time they find further courage to make a mark for themselves. I am an independent artiste. I started my career with a big label and decided to never do that again. I have been an independent artiste ever since. I have found my place without compromising on my beliefs, but it has been tough.”