Kiku sharda
Hasti Doshi (BOMBAY TIMES; May 8, 2023)

Yesterday was World Laughter Day, a day which is celebrated world over to raise awareness about laughter and its benefits. We spoke to actor Kiku Sharda, who has made the audiences laugh in The Kapil Sharma Show, and also in serials like Hatim and F. I. R.

Talking about why it’s very important to make laughter a part of our day-today lives, Kiku says, “I believe in the phrase ‘Laughter is the best medicine’. The more you laugh and dance, the better your lives will be. I see some people restraining themselves from laughing out loud. Why do that? They need to loosen up and enjoy the humour around them. Don’t ever stop yourself from laughing out loud.”

He adds, “A person who can take jokes on himself or herself tends to be happier I believe. Laughter works wonders. I have seen people living healthier lives when they are happy. Yes, there are some people who tend to be quite reserved. But even in their case, they should open up at least within their inner circle and enjoy a good laugh sometimes.”

While Kiku has been entertaining audiences with his gigs, we ask him what makes him laugh? He shares, “There are some really funny people on social media, who are weird and different. Apart from them, my sons Aryan and Shaurya make me laugh a lot. They have this new generation dialect and a very different sense of humour.”

Speaking about his work, have there been times when he is not in the best mood, but has to motivate himself to give a funny shot? “Yes, there have been such times when I have not been in that mood. At times for some personal reasons too, but we have to keep going,” he says, adding, “A few years ago, my mother was unwell and I still had to shoot for the episode. That’s when I told myself I have to make everyone laugh because when my mom will watch this show, she too has to laugh.”