‘I don’t want to just look pretty on screen’

Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 3, 2023)

Bhagyashree hasn’t been the conventional actor. Right after delivering a blockbuster like Maine Pyar Kiya (1989), she got married and wasn’t seen in films for three years. Of late, she has been steadily working again and wants to make sure she doesn’t end up picking any wrong projects.

“I am looking for a good script overall. My role should make a difference to the story, I don’t want to play a character which has no arc, and it doesn’t make any difference to the journey of the protagonist,” she says, revealing what makes her turn down offers.

The actor adds that she is not asking for the main role. “It is not necessary for me to play the lead. Scripts which come to me, they mostly say ‘You have to look pretty, beautiful’... that’s it! I don’t want to stick to that, that is just not me. I have a lot of work coming up, so that’s not what I want to do,” she exclaims.

Bhagyashree, who has been a part of Thalaivii (2021) and Radhe Shyam (2022), will be seen next in Happy Teacher’s Day. The 54-year-old feels times have changed since her film debut. “Female actors have it good today, but we still have a long way to go. There are so many lovely romantic films being made in Hollywood with mature romance. That is still to come to Indian cinema though things are changing gradually. Who says romance goes away after the age of 50?,” she questions.