Logesh Balachandran (BOMBAY TIMES; April 26, 2023)

Actor Dhanush, who is currently working on Captain Miller, was recently honoured with the Youth Icon award at an event. While accepting the award, the actor spoke about his journey in the industry until now.

Dhanush said, “The Youth Icon award is a great honour. I never thought I would come this far, let alone win this award at the age of 40 (smiles). It’s just a reminder that there is always so much to dream, achieve, and conquer. When I entered the industry, I wasn’t accepted because of my looks. Despite this, I kept on dreaming of becoming so many things, and here I am. I have a lot more to achieve, and I take this opportunity to thank my parents, the almighty, and the wonderful directors without whom I wouldn’t have made it here.”

NOBODY UNDERSTANDS CINEMA LIKE DHANUSH, SAYS R BALKI
During a panel discussion that he was part of, Bollywood filmmaker R Balki said, “I watch more Tamil films than people here do because I have a connection with the South.” He added that he considers Dhanush to be very special. He said, “Nobody understands cinema like Dhanush. He is an excellent writer. I always find him to be very special. Actors like Suriya and Vijay Sethupathi are also doing a fabulous job.”

The Chup filmmaker also spoke at length about his love for Ilaiyaraaja’s music and how he finds Moondram Pirai to be one of the greatest films that Indian cinema has ever produced.

Talking about his own films, Balki said that his inspiration comes from incidents that are contrary to real life. “I draw inspiration from things that I wish they were rather than what they are,” he quipped.