Rabya Khan: Suicide nahin toh kya? Who killed Jiah?
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 30, 2023)

Actor Sooraj Pancholi may have been cleared of charges by the court, but late actor Jiah Khan’s mum, Rabiya, is not ready to end the fight just yet. She is preparing to take the case forward by approaching higher authorities.

“The judgement is not unfair,” Rabiya tells us, and goes on to add: “From day one, I have been saying it (abetment of suicide) is a wrong charge to put. They should have framed charges under [IPC] Section 302 (punishment for murder). Now, the path is clear for me to take my fight forward.”

Jiah was found dead in her Mumbai home on June 3, 2013. A six-page suicide note recovered spoke about “physical abuse, mental and physical torture” allegedly at the hands of Sooraj.

“Suicide nahin toh kya? Who killed her is the question the court and the prosecutor should be asking. My daughter was not one to get influenced. She was not a weak person. They (court) took 10 years [to reach this verdict] and now, they will make me run for another 10 years fighting the murder case. I am ready to fight till my last breath,” she says, adding that she is disappointed with the agencies that have “made a fool of people”.

Rabiya has already started putting together the necessary paperwork to appeal to the higher court. “I’ll do whatever it takes to get my baby justice. It is their job to find out who killed my daughter. They must have thought I would get tired after a 10-year fight. But, I am not tired. I will fight. I have been saying that my child was murdered. Now, the court has got the suicide angle out of the park, which brings clarity to me,” she says.

Rabiya goes on to reveal that people don’t look at her as a mother fighting for the justice of her daughter, but someone who is avenging Jiah’s death.

“I am not so big that I will do all this (seek revenge). I just want to get justice for my daughter. People look at me as a criminal, not a mother who is fighting for her kid. I just hope I get the strength to continue, which I get from seeing how Jiah continues to be loved and remembered,” she mentions.

On Sooraj, Rabiya says: “I feel bad for him. Mujhe sirf taras hi aata hai, thinking what a waste of life, talent, youth and everything.”

Rabya Khan: Suicide nahin toh kya? Who killed Jiah?