I HAVE A
CAREER
GRAPH
TO BE
PROUD OF

As she clocks 10 years in Bollywood, Taapsee Pannu says she feels ‘satisfied’ with her image and the kind of work she has done
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 15, 2023)

Taapsee Pannu didn’t have a career trajectory charted out when she started her journey in the Hindi film industry 10 years ago with Chashme Baddoor (2013). The actor, who was told by many that a career in Bollywood is usually “short-lived”, explains, “There are many examples of people who couldn’t last for a long time. So, I always thought, ‘Okay, I am just going to be around for a couple of years’.”

Pannu, who had worked in a few Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies before venturing into Bollywood, says she wanted to stand out. “During my stint in the South, I realized that I was dispensable. I began to feel that I needed to have something more besides just having a female presence in films. I wanted the audience to believe that I wouldn’t waste their money and time. My only goal was to become someone who is not easily replaceable,” says the 35-year-old.

Cut to 2023, Pannu says she feels satisfied as an artiste. “Barring all the misses that I learnt from, I do have a credible career graph to be proud of. In fact, that’s the only thing that has encouraged me to move forward. I feel satisfied,” she shares.

The Dobaaraa (2022) actor admits that she wanted to create a unique identity with her work and her self-critical attitude helped her achieve that. “A lot of people (actors) don’t have a recall value. But I have been lucky to get back-to-back good opportunities that helped me create a unique identity,” says Pannu.

She adds, “Today, no matter how big or small my audience pool is, I am glad they know me because of the kind of work I have done. I am glad that I have a recall value because of it. I have been able to build an identity in over 10 years, which, I feel, is my biggest achievement in this industry.”