Prateek Kuhad is trying to ‘escape’ the box
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 24, 2023)

Prateek Kuhad has created a niche for himself in the music industry. But the singer-composer doesn’t want any label to define him.

“I feel there is a certain box that I have been put in, and a part of me is trying to escape that box,” says Kuhad, who has made a name for himself in the world of independent music by introducing a new form of Indian music to the world with songs such as Tum Jab Paas and Cold/Mess.

The 33-year-old further adds, “It is a weird balance that I am trying to create, where I want to grow organically as a musician. At the same time, I am not trying to just get out of this box because there are certain things that I have done for so long, and got the hang of a certain kind of style and stuff. I honestly don’t understand it myself.”

Opening up about his present influences, the singer says, “I don’t try to seek inspiration so much. There is a thin line between seeking inspiration and seeing inspiration in ‘everything’. You have to let it come to you. You can’t chase inspiration. I don’t. I live my life and try to grow as a person. That’s my focus.”

Kuhad, who made his debut with his EP Tokens and Charms in 2015, and followed it up with songs such as Kasoor, Tune Kaha, and Tere Hi Hum, says he loves writing music. “But ultimately, my goal in life is to really just grow as a human being. So I try to focus on doing things that helped me grow as a person. And in the process, get inspiration,” he adds.