‘CAN’T DO
ROLES WITH
A LOT OF
SKIN SHOW’
Ankita Lokhande’s mantra: A big yes to passion-filled roles, no-no to explicit language and bold scenes
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 28, 2023)

Ankita Lokhande is often asked about why she chooses to do such few roles and remains picky in her career. The actor, who was last seen in the web film, The Last Coffee, isn’t too worried about it, she says, adding, “I want to work more than I do, (but) no one comes to me with good work!”

The Manikarnika - The Queen Of Jhansi (2019) actor is not looking for something particular, she shares. “Every script has a different demand. I can’t say ‘This is what I want’. When I read scripts, I look at how my character has been written. I would love to do something romantic. I want passionate roles maybe. I feel, through my performance I have the ability to make people cry. That’s why I did Manikarnika, where my character was bindaas, outspoken and loveable, and at the same time, uske dil mein dard tha,” says Lokhande.

But there are certain roles and characters that she has decided would never work for her — the bold and steamy ones.

“I choose my characters wisely. I feel, I am not somebody who can do bold characters. Especially ones which have a lot of skin show, and are very sexual or cheesy. (There are) people who are good and convincing in such roles. I feel an actor needs to convince oneself before one convinces the audience,” she gets candid.

With no censorship on OTT, what’s her take on abusive language and bold content on the medium? Will the Pavitra Rishta 2.0 actor take up a role if it is meaty, considering she has a girl-next-door image?

“I will not do intimate scenes on screen. I am not even giving the impression that I want to do these kind of roles. I have seen actors get selected via their social media accounts now. Aap waaaan kaise dikhte ho, woh dekh kar roles milte hain. I am not giving the impression there (on social media), that I want to do bold roles. I can look hot, mere chehre pe hotness aur sensuality dikh sakti hai. I don’t need my body to look hot, it is in one’s attitude,” feels the actor.