Shruti Haasan Birthday 2023: Beauty in black

Logesh Balachandran (BOMBAY TIMES; April 15, 2023)

As the daughter of powerhouse performers, Shruti Haasan, who’s known for her no-nonsense attitude, has carved out an identity for herself as an actress and musician. She has also lent her voice and support for the cause of mental health. In a candid chat, she talks about her forthcoming projects, why she advocates mental health issues and her thoughts on love and marriage. Read on...

You are part of Prabhas’s film Salaar. What was it like working on this project?
Salaar is a film which took a very long time for us to make, and I am extremely happy to be part of it. Usually, there are many characters in Prashanth Neel’s films, but everyone has their own importance. Even in KGF, none of the characters appear randomly, and it’s the same in Salaar. My character, Adya, is pivotal to the story.

Your upcoming project The Eye sounds interesting. What drew you to this independent English film?
When the script came to me, I simply enjoyed reading it. It’s a beautiful story of women that needs to be told. I enjoy films that take patience and time to show women’s perspectives and make us understand what they are going through. Sometimes, we feel lost in stories, but this had a great impact on me. It’s written, directed, and produced by women. I mean, what else do I need to feel great about?

You have always spoken openly about issues around mental health. What drives you to do that?
I strongly believe that discussing mental health is crucial, particularly in this day and age. It’s not just about seeking therapy, but also about various stigmas that surround mental health. I have suffered from a debilitating anxiety disorder. I saw other artistes and actors my age handling the same sets of issues, deadlines and more, with ease, whereas, it was physically impossible for me to cope. Initially, I didn’t understand what was happening. I just thought I was inadequate. At one point, I decided to take a break and address the issues I had been facing. I also realized that many people go through this, but are afraid to speak about it. Fourteen years ago, in the Indian media, I was taught not to share any of this. Even now, some people are questioning why I am being so open about it. It’s my life, and I am old enough to speak about it. If my story can change someone’s life, isn’t that amazing?

You have become more open about your personal life. What brought about this change?
Previously, I was not very open about my private life. However, things have changed now. There is a significant paparazzi culture in Mumbai, and even if I deny a rumour, they will release a photo to prove it. So, I decided that there was no point in hiding things. Regarding Santanu Hazarika, he is someone I am incredibly proud of. The kind of person he is and his achievements in the world of art are truly inspiring. In an era where we post pictures with random people whom we don’t even know, why shouldn’t I be proud of the person I spend every day with?

Is there a wedding on the cards?
We don’t believe in the institution of marriage, but we do believe in commitment and loyalty very much, perhaps even more than married couples (laughs). Marriage may happen, or it may not. It’s not really our priority. We are already living a beautiful life together, and we are very happy with it.