‘NOT BOTHERED ABOUT FASHION POLICING’

Actor Bhumi Pednekar talks about becoming more carefree with her sartorial choices
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 28, 2023)

Bhumi Pednekar has been on a fashion revolution by experimenting with her looks for every outing. But the actor has been receiving equal parts admiration and brickbats for her quirky sartorial choices. Her dress at the launch of Nita Mukesh Ambani Cultural Centre in Mumbai, a black dress at a style awards and even the blouse she wore at actors Sidharth Malhotra and Kiara Advani’s wedding reception led some social media users to troll her. However, the Bheed actor remains unfazed and admits that she gained the “courage” to go all out with fashion recently.  

“In [real] life, this is exactly how I am (bold and carefree). Over the last two years, I met people from the [fashion] fraternity who saw this side of me,” says the 33-year-old. 

She elaborates on how these experts “encouraged” her: “I’ve become a lot more comfortable with myself [now]; I’ve accepted myself. All that is translating into [my appearances at] events and red carpets. Today, I’m more upfront and carefree about showing people who I really am.” 

With experimentation comes fashion policing. Does that bother Pednekar? “Not at all,” she replies, adding, “My journey started during the lockdown when I started posting beauty blogs and makeup videos [on social media]. I was nervous when I put up my first video because I wondered whether I should be doing this. But it was so therapeutic, and I got so much love for it.”

About embracing her style, she adds, “Today, I like to own it to the max. And it comes from a place of being passionate about beauty and fashion.”