‘Still can’t wrap my head around selling oneself’
Akshay Oberoi says he is not good at self promotion, but he is getting better at it
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 1, 2023)

Akshay Oberoi has been around in the industry for more than a decade now. He knows what it takes to sustain oneself, and the works. But there’s one thing he still can’t wrap his head around.

“Selling yourself, meaning self promotion. I have had a very difficult time doing it. I have played so many characters... the whole idea of becoming an actor is that I am boring, hence these different personalities are attractive to me. I want to play other people, live their lives through my profession. I want to study where they come from, so my focus is on that,” shares the Flesh actor.

But when it comes to spreading the word about his work around the time of a project’s release, Oberoi feels strange. “Suddenly, when it comes down to selling the work, that’s very different. I am not very good at it. There are certain actors who are very strong at this, they know how to ‘market well’ on platforms including social media. Mujhe yeh cheez samajh mein nahin aati hai, it is not my natural inclination,” admits the 38-year-old, who will be seen next in Fighter and Gaslight.

Given how important it is though, Oberoi is trying to improve in this department. He adds, “It’s worth the price I have to pay in order to do what I love, which is being an actor. I am trying to improve on this front, one can’t just say ‘I am bad’ at something, and not work towards improving it. I don’t enjoy promoting myself necessarily, but it’s an occupational hazard. I am working on it.”