abhishek nigam
In an exclusive interview, Abhishek Nigam talks about replacing Sheezan Khan in Ali Baba..., after the latter was arrested in Tunisha Sharma’s death case
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; February 6, 2023)

Replacements aren’t easy. For Abhishek Nigam, who agreed to step into Sheezan Khan’s shoes to play the new Ali Baba on TV, it was even tougher. Sheezan is currently in judicial custody. He was arrested on December 25 for abetment to suicide of his co-actor Tunisha Sharma. On December 24, the actress reportedly died by suicide in her make-up room on the set of their show Ali Baba Dastaan-e-Kabul, which has now been renamed Ali Baba - Ek Andaaz Andekha - Chapter 2. The unit resumed the shoot five days after the tragic incident and the makers began hunting for a new male lead, which ended with Abhishek.

In an exclusive interview with BT, Abhishek speaks about the responsibility on his shoulders, his apprehensions before taking up the show and the bond he shared with Tunisha, with whom he had worked in a show earlier. Excerpts:

The show has been in the news since the tragic demise of Tunisha and the subsequent arrest of Sheezan. Considering this, did you have any apprehensions about taking up the show?
Of course, there were apprehensions. Even if it is a regular role, one contemplates the pros and cons of the offer. I sought everyone’s advice and realised that I didn’t have any reason to decline the offer. The circumstances have been unfortunate, but we make a show with a lot of love and hard work. Iske peeche ek insaan ka haath nahi hota, bahut logon ki kadi mehnat hoti hai. I went ahead with that emotion. The previous lead couple has done an amazing job. I realised that I would have to put in a lot of hard work while playing this character and I took the plunge with that resolution. I am sure our dedication will pay off.

The unit, which had moved to another location after Tunisha’s demise, returned to the original set a few weeks ago. Were you uncomfortable when you started shooting on January 15?
Uncomfortable se zyada, responsibility wala khayaal haavi tha. I was nervous and scared initially because the decision to come on board was made overnight. Whenever I was nervous, the director and the cast encouraged me. Everyone has been supportive, warm and understanding. They didn’t make me feel like a newcomer.

How is the atmosphere on the set now?
While we have to experience the pain, life is also about moving on. Everyone is working hard and trying to keep the atmosphere on the set positive. We are looking at the bigger picture and thinking about the number of people dependent on the show for a living. Of course, mushkil toh hoti hai par usse aagey nikalna hai.

Replacements lead to comparisons. Were you worried about being compared to Sheezan?
Irrespective of the nature of the replacement, comparisons are normal and inevitable. The audience finds it difficult to warm up to a new face. However, if you are diligent and portray the character with conviction, you will strike a chord with the viewer. Our thought process has been to infuse a fresh approach to the show. Though the core emotion has been retained, my character is different from the previous one. It is more energetic and quirkier.

In the past, you have worked with Tunisha in Hero - Gayab Mode On and also with Sheezan in Chandra Nandini. What was your equation with them?
I worked with Tunisha in Hero - Gayab Mode On and later, in a music video. She was fun-loving and had great energy. I knew her for many years. She was hardworking, talented, a quick learner and easy to work with. I was in shock and disbelief when I heard the news of her untimely demise. It took me a lot of time to come to terms with it. She had a bright future and if she were alive, she would have made it big in the industry. All my memories of Tunisha are of her smiling around me. I had worked with Sheezan long ago. He is also hardworking, focused and dedicated to his craft and fitness.

What do you think of the ongoing case between Tunisha’s mother and Sheezan Khan, who was arrested following a complaint filed by her?
I’d refrain from sharing my opinion, as I don’t want it to affect the case. A lot is going on already. I don’t want to give an opinion that results in something unwanted.