Shamita on rumour of her dating Aamir: It was so stupid

Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 5, 2023)

Recently, several pictures surfaced online of actors Shamita Shetty and Aamir Ali, which fuelled rumours about them having found love in each other. But soon, the two took to social media to quash all such claims and set the record straight.

“It was so stupid,” Shetty tells us, sharing what pushed her to address the rumour: “This time, it wasn’t just about me. There was somebody else involved. It is stupid to give a name to friendship. Sometimes, it is unbelievable how people think.”

The constant glare, the lack of privacy and the judgements women face almost daily are what form the crux of her latest outing, The Tenant.

“Do I face constant judgement? Yes. Because I’m single and unmarried? Yes. Even on my social media, there are so many people saying, ‘You are of a certain age, get married’. Some ask when I am getting married, some say, ‘You are starting to look old’. It’s like I was born just to get married! That’s not the only thing a woman needs to think about. If she doesn’t want to get married, it is fine. Even if she is successful, there will still be a bunch of people who will judge her because she’s not married. It’s not like her life is not complete... This thought is so annoying,” asserts the 44-year-old.

How does she deal with the constant scrutiny as someone in the public eye? “That comes with being a celebrity. I have always been a very private person. Unfortunately, after my Bigg Boss stint, people saw everything that was going on in my life for six months,” says Shetty, who broke up with co-contestant, actor Raqesh Bapat a few months ago and announced the same on social media.

“Now, people think they need to and deserve to know more about what’s happening in my life. But, every individual has a right to control the scene,” she concludes.