I would not expect Beyoncé to open for me: Sunidhi

Ashish Kumar Singh (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 3, 2023)

Indian musicians Jonita Gandhi, King and Anuv Jain opened for American rapper Post Malone at his recent Mumbai concert. An Indian musician opening for an international artiste is a common phenomenon, but it doesn’t happen the other way around. However, singer Sunidhi Chauhan says if one is in music for the love of it, they would never feel small about opening a show for someone. “I think if I had to open for somebody who I love, somebody like Beyoncé, I would do it,” she says.

The singer, who will set off on her I Am Home series of concerts soon, adds, “But, I would not expect Beyoncé to open for me. In fact, I would not like anybody to open for me. I want to have it all. I want those 15 minutes to myself. I love my fans and they should only see me perform.”

Meanwhile, Chauhan, whose song Saami Saami from Pushpa: The Rise (2021) became a global rage, doesn’t feel the pressure to deliver a hit as big as the song that featured actors Allu Arjun and Rashmika Mandanna. “I have never been under pressure. I just do music for the love of it. I don’t care if a song does well or not. But if it reaches people, that’s great,” says the singer, who has a lot of uptempo numbers to her credit.

Ask what she feels about the trend of remixing old numbers, and Chauhan says she’s all for it, as long as the final product sounds good: “If a remix is done properly, I feel uss gaane ki life aur bhi badh jaati hai. But unfortunately, most remixes take the fun out of the original.”