I will not touch content meant to titillate people: Parambrata
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 23, 2023)

In a career spanning two decades, actor Parambrata Chattopadhyay has tried his hand at many genres and film industries. And in Hindi cinema, he has a filmography that ranges from a mystery thriller like Kahaani (2012), to horror film Pari (2018), and a number of web shows, too.

But there’s something he would never attempt: “A genre I will never touch is slasher movies. It is just not my thing. The gore fest in them is not for me,” he states, adding another kind of content that he avoids is eroticism for the heck of it.

“I don’t think I will ever be part of content, which is meant to only titillate the audiences. I mean, I don’t have any problem with sex or love scenes and I have done plenty of them in my films, but I am a little apprehensive... (of how they are projected onscreen),” explains the 42-year-old. The actor will be seen next in a horror film and an adaptation of late director Satyajit Ray’s famous detective, Feluda.

“I have an aversion towards content which only titillates and doesn’t aesthetically engage people,” he stresses on the need for sensitively handling complex storylines.

Other than this, there are things that he feels need to change in showbiz. “There are, of course, a lot of great things about our film industry, but also a lot of not-so-good things. The way female characters are portrayed in films is still not up to the mark. There is also a lot of talk about equal pay, but it is still not there, and must change for the better,” he says.