I don’t like anybody dictating my life, says Amol Parashar

The Sardar Udham actor says that he has lost out on roles of a Delhi boy despite being from the city
Akash Wadhwa (BOMBAY TIMES; February 4, 2023)

Tripling fame actor Amol Parashar, who is a popular face on OTT, has also received accolades for his performances on the big screen in movies like Sardar Udham and Rocket Singh: Salesman Of The Year, among others. A Delhiite, who resides in Mumbai now, Amol says, “Initially when I used to give auditions for the character of a Delhi boy, people would not like them at all.”

Amol says, “For quite some time, I didn’t understand what they wanted out of me as a Delhi boy but eventually, I realized that there is a stereotyped image of Delhi created in the minds of people from what is being shown in TV shows and movies like Fukrey and Band Baaja Baaraat. As a result of this, they expect me to also act in a similar manner.”

Amol adds, “The funny part is that even though main toh apne aap ko Dilli ka manta hun lekin filmein mujhe Dilli ka nahi maanti. I don’t get the Delhi boy type roles. And I have lost out on several roles of a Delhi boy despite being from the city. It was only after several rejections, that I understood that what makers want from me as a Delhiite, and that is being loud, talking in a Punjabi accent, etc (laughs).”

– Inputs from Snigdha Agarwal