In the pictures shared by Tejasswi, the couple can be seen dressed at their festive best. Tejasswi in a gold and black lehenga and Karan in a patterned shirt

Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; January 24, 2023)

After hosting Dance Deewane Juniors and shooting a film, Karan Kundrra is back to the fiction genre two years after his stint on Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai. He will be seen as a werewolf in the fantasy show, Ishq Mein Ghayal (IMG). But it’s not just his work that generates interest amongst his audience; it’s also his relationship with actress Tejasswi Prakash that has been the talk of the town. In a chat with us, Karan talks about his choices of projects and being content on the personal front. Excerpts:
Your personal life has been in the news for quite some time now.

You’ve been in a relationship with Tejasswi Prakash…
I am calm, happy aur bohot sukoon mein hoon abhi. Wohi important hota hai life mein. I am at peace right now because I know what I want. I have clarity. It wasn’t a mission and happened organically. It is a normal relationship with two people coming together. Tejasswi and I are very different and it’s an imperfectly perfect love story. There are so many imperfections that it’s perfect (smiles).

Several people cast aspersions on the credibility of relationships that blossom inside the Bigg Boss house every year. How did you deal with such criticism?
It happens to date. Honestly, I am at a stage where I don’t care about these comments anymore. I can’t keep on proving a point to people. If somebody hates you, no matter how well you do in life, they will diss you.

So, are Tejasswi and you looking at marriage any time soon?
When you are clear about things, these things don’t seem important. Jab ek relationship mein koi cheez lack karti hai tab aap tension lete hain inn baaton ki. There is an unspoken clarity between us that this is not something we should be worrying about. Our parents know each other. We are together throughout the day and away only when we are shooting. We continue to discover each other, have been through ups and downs in our relationship, but every time something unfavourable happens, we emerge stronger. This is a no-tension relationship. Iss relationship mein siyappe nahi hain.

Ishq Mein Ghayal marks your return to the fantasy world of werewolves and vampires after Fanaah (2014). You will be seen as Veer, a grey character...
Veer is completely black. It’s the most interesting and badass character I have played in my career. Also, I feel that the concept of positive, negative or grey doesn’t exist on TV anymore.

What factors govern your choices of projects at this stage in your career?
Over the years, I’ve realised that everything is about the character, as it stays with audiences. Also, I have understood that no matter how well-written a character is, unless you play it with conviction, it won’t make the cut with the audience.

How did you decide to return to the fiction genre after hosting a reality show?
I don’t believe in making plans because whenever I’ve made plans for my career or life, they have never fructified. Of course, Bigg Boss opened a lot of avenues for me. I completed two films, hosted two reality shows. I don’t think you need breaks from television to explore cinema. Today, actors are not known by the platform they are on, but for their acting prowess. Nowadays, people don’t focus on becoming a hero. They instead want to be recognised as good actors. I believe that is a more long-lasting career choice than thinking ki main yeh sab chhod kar ab yahi karunga. Yeh pehle hota tha, ab nahi hota. Ab artiste ki value hai.