Rendezvous, with a side of reality show

Harking back to her much-loved chat show, Simi Garewal to conduct Rendezvous with Bigg Boss 16 contestants; special interview with host Salman on the cards
Upala KBR (MID-DAY; January 11, 2023)

At their core, Rendezvous With Simi Garewal, and Bigg Boss are polar opposites of one another. While the reality show thrives on voyeurism, Garewal’s chat show, which ran between 1997 and 2007, offered a rare and intimate portrait of its subjects. What happens when the two worlds collide? Guess we’ll find out as the veteran actor-host is set to conduct a rendezvous of sorts with the contestants of Bigg Boss 16, in a special episode that will be aired on Thursday. That’s not all — she is also in talks to shoot an episode with Bigg Boss host Salman Khan.

“I will wear my trademark white, and the Bigg Boss team is setting up an all-white space inside the house,” reveals Garewal, who will film the episode today with housemates Tina Datta, Shalin Bhanot, Sajid Khan, and others.

The reality show had not caught Garewal’s interest in the past. However, this season was different. “I had stopped watching after the first season as I didn’t like it at all. This season, I watched a few episodes as Farah’s [Khan] brother Sajid was on it. Surprisingly, I loved the show and didn’t miss a single episode after that.”

She adds that Farah Khan spoke to the channel about the possibility of a special episode. “The [channel officials] asked Farah if I would do a Rendezvous… with the contestants. It sounded like fun, and I gave my nod.”

While she remains tight-lipped about the Bigg Boss interview with Khan, Garewal is keen to host the superstar on her chat show, after it is relaunched. “Salman has not appeared in any of the 150 episodes I have shot for Rendezvous. Now, he has promised to come on the show when I begin it again. When I asked how I should contact him, Salman said, ‘Text me the time, place and date, and I will be there.’ His only request is that it should be the last episode of the season.”

A still from Bigg Boss 16