Proud of every day I have lived, won’t diss anything I’ve done in the past: Zakir Khan

Pallabi Purkayastha (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 28, 2023)

He is a poet, a sitar player and also a stand-up comic. But, for Zakir Khan, creativity has no bounds. Khan, who recently came out with a special, titled Tathastu, says the idea behind it was to share a piece of his life with his audience.

“Haq Se Single was for fans, Kaksha Gyaarvi was for people who don’t know me and Tathastu for me and my people (chuckles). It is a very personal story. As an artiste, I have added multiple layers to it,” he tells us.

The 35-year-old adds that he is “proud” of everything he has done so far, and wouldn’t change a thing: “I was just telling somebody that no two shows of mine are identical. So, I have certainly grown and that brings a lot of changes in your personality. I will not diss anything I have done in the past.”

With many up-and-coming stand-up comics taking the stage, does he ever fear being replaced? “I don’t have any creative insecurity. I feel like I am on a journey and in it, a lot of people have come on board. If things don’t go as planned, I am fine with it. I am prepared,” he says.

Khan was recently dropped as the celebrity judge of a comedy reality show, and that too finds a reference in his recent outing. He reasons: “It (being dropped) was around the same time when my grandfather died. These incidents were very close to each other [in timing]. So, it was impossible to not mention it... I could not pass through it kyunki agar kuch aur banata toh lagta ki jhoot bol rahan hun main.”

A lot of the comedy material produced these days tend to be laden with expletives. But, Khan believes it is the prerogative of the artiste and the audience. “Nothing in this world exists without the need. Even if one person is laughing, it is a joke and it has every right to exist. Jiske liye jaisa chale, jisko jaisa pasand aaye... Why should that affect us? It is an intimate relationship between an artiste and the audience, ki what makes them laugh and what doesn’t. Agar audience nahin hogi toh artiste nahin bolega kabhi bhi,” he reasons.