I always wanted to be an indie artiste, says Amit Trivedi
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 28, 2022)

Over the last couple of months, composer-singer Amit Trivedi has come up with songs such as Shehnaiyan, Jadu Salona, Dil Na Tod and Rahiyo Na, and they are not a part of any film’s soundtrack. Trivedi has been focusing on independent projects for the last two years and has been releasing singles on YouTube.

Explaining why he felt the need to explore indie music, the Uunchai composer says, “I always wanted to be an indie artiste, but I met Anurag Kashyap (filmmaker) and since then, my life has been consumed by films. I was waiting for the right opportunity to pursue my real passion — indie music.”

Though he continues to make music for movies and had nine soundtracks to his credit this year, Trivedi loves the freedom that independent music brings along. “My YouTube channel is a platform for me to release my kind of music. The greatest advantage is that I have creative control of the music I release on my channel,” says the musician.

While the 43-year-old loves “making music for films” and has “a lot of movies coming up”, he promises that his indie outings would not take a backseat. “I try to strike a balance between film and independent projects. I’m very happy in the space I am in right now, where I get to work on movie soundtracks and also make non-film music,” Trivedi ends.