Shankar on remixes: I think this trend will fade off soon
S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 11, 2022)

Singer-composer Shankar Mahadevan might have had a busy year, but he has cherished each and every moment of it. “Music makes me happy and if I am able to create best of scores, it works like magic for me. I’m also happy that I could take my academy global, with students joining from different countries. I am proud to see the love for Indian music everywhere,” says the Rock On!! (2008)and Raazi (2018) composer.

When asked about the rising trend of remixes, Mahadevan feels it will be short-lived: “I personally don’t like the idea of remixing songs, because as musicians, we have already given it our best to create those tunes. Why remix the existing version? Having said that, I feel to each his own. But, I think this trend will fade off soon and like always it’s the melody that will be appreciated.”

But what if the original musician creates a second version of songs, like Breathless? “It cannot be recreated. I can come up with more songs along the same lines, but there can’t be a part two,” he says.

While talking about the current crop of musicians, the musician also talks about his sons, who he feels have created a niche for themselves. “Youngsters today are smarter in making career choices. They want to do something that makes them happy. I’d left the choice up to them and they chose music. So, there’s nothing better I think,” says Mahadevan, as he signs off.