‘I AM TERRIBLE AT
CALCULATIONS’
Tabu says she likes to do her job and not get into the numbers her projects earn at the box office
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 13, 2022)

Tabu is currently going through a purple patch in her career. The actor did Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 earlier this year and also featured in the recently released Drishyam 2, co-featuring actor Ajay Devgn. Interestingly, both the films entered the Rs. 200-crore club in a year when most films struggled to rake in the moolah at the box office. “We never imagined our film (Drishyam 2) would do these numbers. The kind of love the film got is heartening,” says the 52-year-old.

Releasing the Hindi version of Drishyam 2 in theatres when the original Malayalam film also dropped on a streaming platform around the same time was a risk the makers took. But Tabu says she doesn’t understand the number game: “I am terrible at these calculations. I can’t understand or analyze the business side [of films]. People have had these conversations in front of me, ‘Now it (the Malayalam film) is out on OTT. Who will go and watch the Hindi version?’ But I believe jab tak film release nahin hoti, tab tak band mutthi jaisi hoti hai. I am terrible at making assumptions about any film.”

Explaining why she doesn’t get into the business aspects of her films, the 52-year-old continues, “You cannot ever make any calculation. You cannot predict the audiences’ mood; whether they would watch a film or not. That’s why it (the way the film will perform) is like a gamble. But the producers were confident that [both] the films would do well, and I was amazed at their understanding. I don’t put my head there. I just like to act in the film and enjoy the success.”