Advait Chandan on Aamir’s sabbatical: He’s like the Sachin Tendulkar of films
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 12, 2022)

Filmmaker Advait Chandan is not anxious about his associate of almost two decades, Aamir Khan taking a sabbatical from acting for the next year and a half. The actor recently made the announcement, following the box-office debacle suffered by their film Laal Singh Chaddha (LSC).

“Of course we spoke about it. There are many more legendary roles yet to come his way, at least 20-25 more. They’ll come according to his comfort level. Jab kaam karna hoga unko, toh woh karenge,” he says matter-of-factly.

Chandan, who also directed Khan in Secret Superstar (2017), adds that he grew up watching him in films such as Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992) and Rangeela (1995). “My relationship with him is not 16 but 35 years old! I loved him ever since. I also remember meeting him the first time and what he wore then. Because for me, he was Munna from Rangeela. He is iconic, a living legend. I am not saying this as his associate, but as a fan. He is like the Sachin Tendulkar of films, aaj nahin toh kal century maarne wala hai,” he gushes.

Did the two also talk about LSC’s performance? “What else will we discuss? Of course we do. This film was a huge part of our lives. Films are like our kids,” he says.

As the director of the film, how did he absorb the kind of reactions that came their way upon its release? Chandan shares, “I am a very receptive person. I read every comment, every review... Listened to everyone. I agree with everyone, and believe your opinion is true. That’s all I can do. I believe anybody who spent two hours of their time and paid for the film, be it in theatres or on OTT, is my audience and critic, and I care about your opinion. If you liked it, great. If you didn’t, I will do something better.”