Shefali Jariwala On Divorce From Harmeet Singh: 'Not Every Kind Of Violence Is Physical'

Jaspreet Nijher (BOMBAY TIMES; November 20, 2022)

Although she has done reality shows, Shefali Jariwala has stayed away from saas-bahu TV soaps. Best known as the Kaanta Laga girl, she spoke to us about why she isn’t interested in being a part of daily soaps, and how her husband and actor Parag Tyagi helped her take up acting more seriously. Excerpts:

Why didn’t you pursue music videos or even TV after the success of Kaanta Laga?
I am doing web now, though not mainstream Hindi television. I have often been approached for music videos, especially in Punjabi, but that was not on my agenda and still isn’t. My focus shifted towards acting, even though dancing will always be my first love. There are some roles that come your way to make you grow as a performer, refine your craft, and web has given me that. Fortunately, audiences also accept artistes on web more readily than other mass mediums.

Why have you stayed away from TV so far despite doing three dance reality shows?
TV has a huge audience and that’s why it is surviving, but I don’t see myself in that zone wearing a saree and playing the ideal bahu right now. In real life, I am a doting wife, but my reality doesn’t help me improve my craft.

How has Parag contributed to your onscreen journey?
It was because of Parag that I took up acting seriously. He recognized the monotony that was seeping into my life even before I saw it. He told me that you are growing as a person, but you should evolve as an artiste, too. He is such a good artiste that you will be amazed how good a person he is in real when you see him as a bad boy on screen.