Mister Mummy row: Will take legal route if needed, says Akash
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 4, 2022)

Filmmaker Akash Chatterjee has levelled plagiarism charges against makers of the upcoming film Mister Mummy. He shared several screenshots on Facebook, alleging that the story of the Riteish Deshmukh-starrer has been copied from the script he shared with the production house in 2020.

“The writer Nirnimesh Dubey and I were in touch with Krishan Kumar since 2020. He agreed to co-produce the film as he really liked the concept,” he tells us, adding, “We told the production house, ‘Either you do this film with us or we’ll make it’. But, Covid happened and I didn’t hear anything about it.”

Chatterjee claims he had registered the film, originally titled Vicky Pet Se, with the Screenplay Writers’ Association even before meeting with the production house and thought that there was nothing to worry about. But, when he saw the film announcement, with no mention of him, he was disappointed.

“I couldn’t believe they’d do this. They are such well-known people, you do not expect something of this sort,” he says, adding, “I am in talks with my lawyers and willing to take legal action, if needed. I am neither claiming money nor am I trying to create trouble. All I want is credit, which my team and I deserve.”

Bhushan Kumar, managing director of the production house, said he is unaware of the matter, while Krishan Kumar couldn’t be reached for a comment.

Mister Mummy row: Will take legal route if needed, says Akash