Vikram Bhatt, Vikram Bhatt movies, Vikram Bhatt raaz, Vikram Bhatt raaz reboot, Vikram Bhatt crreature, Vikram Bhatt movies, Emraan Hashmi, Gaurav Arora, Kriti Kharbanda, Raaz Reboot, Entertainment

The filmmaker opens up about his 18-year-long battle with Fibromyalgia, a chronic disorder that causes widespread muscle pain
Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; November 28, 2022)

A bout a month ago, actress Samantha Ruth Prabhu took to social media to share that she was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition called Myositis. The rare disorder leads to muscle weakness and pain. Director Vikram Bhatt, too, has been quietly fighting a health crisis himself. He was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 18 years ago, a chronic disorder characterized by widespread muscle pain. It is often accompanied by fatigue and altered sleep, memory and mood. Moved by Samantha’s post, he decided to break his silence, hoping to give strength to the actress and many who suffer from these rare disorders.

In a conversation with BT, he said, “I have been suffering for the past 18 years. In Samantha’s case, Myositis leads to weakness of muscles, and in my case, Fibromyalgia leads to intense muscle pain. You process pain differently. What may not be painful for a normal person is very painful for me. There is no cure for either of the disorders, as it’s your body attacking you. There are days when you have flareups, and there are days when you are better. Only metaphysical things like meditation or good sleep can help. I have been lucky to have a good support system, but it’s hard. It has been a tough journey that has taken a lot out of me but has also made me stronger. I want to reach out to Samantha and tell her that if I can make it, so can you. I am so glad she spoke up. Hiding takes as much strength as fighting the pain.”

Vikram says, “Whether it’s depression, Fibromyalgia, anxiety or Myositis, there should not be any kind of stigma attached to these things. I urge people not to suffer alone. I want them to come out and say, ‘this is me’. That will take the burden off your chest.” Diagnosis and treatment weren’t easy, though.

He explained, “In the first four years when it was detected, I didn’t know myself what was going on. You experience migraines, body ache and depression. You think they are all different illnesses, and you try to cure them separately.”

Beyond spirituality and a better lifestyle, it was some good writing that kept Vikram going. “There were two poems that helped me immensely while coping with this health condition. One was Harivansh Rai Bachchan’s Agnipath, and the other was Invictus, the poem that kept Nelson Mandela alive in prison. Not only alive but gave him hope and determination. I know these poems by heart.”

Talking about the support he had received from his colleagues, he added, “In the film industry, I have had the good fortune of working with some actors and crew members who understand my problem and know what it takes for me to get through the day. They have always been supportive and empathetic. They don’t need to, but they are, and I am extremely thankful to them. There are also those who don’t give a damn, and why should they. If I am paid to direct, then I am supposed to make a film. It’s business, so no hard feelings. Filmmaking is not charity. If I choose to enter the ring, I need to fight. You can’t be a gladiator with problems, can you?”