Mandana quits Bollywood over #MeToo accused Sajid bagging a TV show
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 5, 2022)

Mandana Karimi is bidding adieu to Bollywood. The actor, who was among the women who accused filmmaker Sajid Khan of sexual misconduct as part of the #MeToo movement four years ago, says it is appalling that Khan is now a part of a reality show, facing no repercussions whatsoever for the charges levelled against him.

Karimi claimed that during a meeting for his film Humshakals (2014), Khan asked her to remove her clothes and said, “If I like what I see, you might get the part”. Seeing him participate in a reality show now has irked her. “For people, life has become like, ‘If it’s going to benefit me and I can make money, who cares?’” she laments, adding, “The industry is a place where someone is someone’s mum, boyfriend, girlfriend or husband. It’s like, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours.”

The Iranian actor, last seen in the reality show Lock Upp, says she has not worked in seven months. “I didn’t go for any auditions. I don’t want to work in Bollywood. I don’t want to be associated with an industry where there is no respect for women,” she says, adding that her dues from her last reality show are yet to be cleared.

What does the road ahead look like for her? “I’m trying to figure it out. I need to see what makes me happy as life is too short to compromise for anyone… Let’s see where life takes me,” she wraps up.