I TRIED
ACTING
ONCE, I WAS
VERY BAD
AT IT
Yo Yo Honey Singh admits if a biopic is made on him, he wouldn’t star in it, wants a fresh face to play the part
Monika Rawal Kukreja (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 18, 2022)

He doesn’t like to be labelled a singer, rapper, writer or music producer. “I am a performer and an entertainer. Main bas audience ko khush karna chahta hoon,” says Yo Yo Honey Singh, who recently performed in Delhi at HT City Unwind. In a candid chat, he opens up about who should star in his biopic, his fitness journey, launching new talent, and his latest song, Together Forever. Excerpts:

Your life is nothing short of a masala potboiler. If your biopic is made, would you star in it?
I tried acting once, I was very bad at it. Bahut bakwas acting karta hoon main. So [for my biopic], an actor should be taken, maybe a fresh face. But, I feel there’s still time for a biopic [to happen]. Abhi bahut kuch karna hai. Jab masala badhega, phir mazaa aayega biopic bani toh.

Your physical transformation surprised many. Is your fitness journey on track?
Absolutely! When I got sick in 2014, I was at home for five years and couldn’t work much. I was composing songs, but when I shot for my songs Saiyaan Ji and Makhna, I was very fat. Fans didn’t like the fact that someone who had a great body was out of shape. But my medication was such that I couldn’t lose weight despite working out. Finally, I took it seriously and left a lot of work to focus only on my fitness.

So, what’s the next big thing coming up?
My third album, Honey 3.0 releases in January next year. It has some never-heard-before music. Currently, people say, ‘Purane Honey Singh wali baat nahin hai’. But this new version will make you forget everything I have released so far. It has a mix of old flavour and lot of new music.

Tell us about your new song, Together Forever.
It’s a love song that we shot in Hollywood, Los Angeles (USA). For the first time, a black model features in an Indian music video.

You’ve donned various hats in your music career. Is this constant transition difficult?
I never wanted to sing. I didn’t know how to write. I started as a music producer and then started writing for others. Then, singing happened. So, it was all a gradual process. I am a performer, who just wants to entertain.

How important it is for you to launch new talent?
I don’t think I am at a position yet to launch someone. Yes, I do try and give a chance to new talent. A lot of people gave me chances before I became a pan-India and global artiste. So, I never overshadow new talent. Collaborating is all about blessing each other.