‘I don’t see what’s there to be scared about ageing’
Prithviraj believes as an actor ages, a range of offers present themselves
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 16, 2022)

He’s one of the biggest stars of Malayalam cinema, and gave his first nod for a Hindi film 10 years ago. It was Aiyaa opposite Rani Mukerji, and the actor was Prithviraj Sukumaran.

He also celebrates turning 40 today. “My wife (Supriya Menon Prithviraj) says I am a 24/7 cinema guy, I am currently finishing a couple of Malayalam films. I am also setting up my next directorial, the sequel to Lucifer which released in 2019. And as we speak, the unthinkable has happened — I have taken a three-day break for my birthday weekend,” he laughs, as he connects over a call from Dubai. “I am not a celebration or planning person, my wife excels at it. She just made me say yes to taking three days off, and that’s all I know,” he adds.

Every year counts, especially when one is an actor. Does he fear getting old? After a certain point, the meaty roles might dry up. But, he disagrees. “People keep saying after a certain point, you can’t play a specific type of role, but they forget that before a certain point, you can’t play specific roles either. I don’t see what’s there to be scared about. Yes, I can’t play a 20-year-old college kid anymore. But I can definitely play a father to a 12-year-old convincingly,” says the multiple award-winning actor.

Sukumaran, who was last seen in Theerppu, laughs when we say that some actors continue to play such roles even after 40. “I stopped playing a 20-year-old lover boy 10 years ago. I was finding it awkward to do that at 30. 10 years ago, I said I am waiting to turn 40. Now, on my 40th, it’s all over my timeline. If being younger on screen doesn’t affect me, then being older shouldn’t either,” he says.