Bhai Dooj has become more meaningful after marriage
Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 26, 2022)

Bhai Dooj is an occasion to celebrate the special bond of a brother and sister, and actor Rupali Ganguly enjoys the day to the fullest. She tells us that she and her brother, choreographer Vijay Ganguly, were taught to respect such special days by their parents. This year, Rupali and Vijay are looking forward to spending the day together. “Bhai Dooj is important to me, not just because we have been celebrating it since childhood, but also because both of us are always busy. At times, we don’t meet for months,” says the 45-year-old.

Vijay, 42, who has choreographed a number of Bollywood songs, including Chaka Chak (Atrangi Re; 2021), adds, “Rupali and I make sure that we are together on Bhai Dooj every year. Now that she is married, these occasions mean much more to me.”

Sharing how they spend the special day and her plans for this year, Rupali shares, “Usually, we go out for dinner and our cousins join in, too, as Vijay is the only brother among us [sisters]. At home, we do the puja, exchange gifts and then head out. Since my TV show began, I don’t get much free time. But earlier, I would cook Vijay’s favourite food at home. This year, if I get off from work on time, I will cook something for him. In fact, Bhai Dooj has become more meaningful after marriage, because we don’t stay in the same house now.”

Like most siblings, they have banters, too. Revealing how they argue over silly things, Vijay shares, “Once, Rupali and I fought over the decorations and some saree ka colour and it blew up so much that we didn’t speak to each other for two months (laughs)! Today we laugh about it.”