KKK

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; September 23, 2022)

Kiran Karmarkar, who had an interesting role of a special police officer in Spy Bahu, is not surprised that the show is wrapping up. He says he saw it coming ever since the script changed.

He shares, “After a long time, I was not playing a father, brother, sasur, kaka or part of a big family set-up. It was an interesting role. I played a special police officer and had a lot of challenging scenes in the beginning and the show was shot also differently. But soon, the script changed. That’s when I started wondering how long the show would last. My role, too, started getting shorter and I lost interest. I am sad that a show that began so well and was not in the typical social drama format, had to go off air so soon.”

Talking about how content of shows is compromised because of low budgets, Kiran says, “I feel that low budgets can push people to compromise on the quality of shows. In the past few days, I got an offer for a show, where they told me how the budget for my character was an X amount. I don’t understand what that means. You have a budget for a particular actor to be cast in a show, but not the character! That means now the team is allocating budgets for saas, bahu, bhaiyya, bhabhi, lead actors and so on. And after I refused, I saw that they had chosen an actor who could barely mouth the dialogues. After working for so long in the industry, they have compared my work with an actor, who can’t even speak his dialogues. I find this disappointing. That’s why shows wrap up faster although, Spy Bahu had a lot of promise.”