HIGH TIME
WE LOOKED
INTERNALLY:
AKSHAY ON
BOYCOTT
BOLLYWOOD
TRENDS
Actor Akshay Oberoi feels Bollywood is becoming a better place and audience feedback should be taken into account
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 20, 2022)

Akshay Oberoi doesn’t shy away from talking about the ‘Boycott Bollywood’ trends, unlike other celebs. But the actor chooses to look at it as something that will lead to the industry becoming a better place.

“When it comes to boycott calls, I am not going to sit here and say, ‘I don’t know’. I get what’s happening in the world, and I have always been aware. I have never been in denial. This (the calls for boycott against Hindi film industry) is creating a shift, and it’s high time we [as an industry] also looked internally. With great chaos comes great change. That’s the phase Bollywood is going through right now,” says the 37-year-old, whose short film Bad Egg recently travelled to the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne.

Oberoi goes on to add that the audience are the industry’s “customers” and hence, their feedback must to be taken into account. “They are not getting better stuff, and they deserve to. It is time we looked at ourselves and made some changes. I hope some day we look back at this phase as one of great learning,” shares the actor.

On the work front, things are shaping up well for Oberoi, who will be seen next in Gaslight. However, he remains cautious about not taking up just about anything.

“I am a workaholic, and love what I do. This year alone I have done five films. But I do say no to projects; it’s not like I only get those five offers. I do not just jump at anything that comes my way; otherwise in the last nine months alone, I would have done 15-20 projects,” he wraps up.