‘Won’t work with stars again; they want three vans, 25 bodyguards’
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 21, 2022)

Producer Vinod Bachchan, known for exploring the heartland of India in his projects, reveals that after Zila Ghaziabad (2013), which starred Sanjay Dutt, Arshad Warsi, Vivek Oberoi and Paresh Rawal, he decided to “never work with stars again”. “Wo kahani kehni chaiye, jo Hindustan ka kona-kona sochta hai. But stars do not let you do that,” says Bachchan.

The producer of Tanu Weds Manu (2011) explains, “Stars want big banners, three vanity vans, 25 bodyguards, but I don’t want that. I would rather invest that money in making my film.”

Bachchan says this is one of the reasons why he looks for new directors and actors for every film. “If I fail to share my message with the society through my cinema, mera cinema banaane ka koi matlab nahin. I want to work with people who could present my ideas in the way I want,” he says, adding, “As a producer, my priority is to look for a director who can be on the same page as me. I want a director who can help me create a socially relevant film.”

Unsurprisingly, the film’s plot is the most important aspect for him, not the stars. “A star can pull audiences to theatres on Fridays, but it’s only a star script that works in the long run. So, I don’t worry about finding actors. Jo bhi acche actors milte hain, main unke saath dedication ke saath film banaata hoon,” he concludes.