Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; September 30, 2022)

Choreographer-actor-dancer Sandip Soparrkar, who became a single parent in 2007 after he adopted a baby boy, has expanded his family. He has adopted Kabir, a 10-year-old boy who is differently-abled (hearing and speech impaired) from the same orphanage where he adopted Arjun. Sandip shared why he decided to adopt another child after 15 years.

He says, “When I adopted Arjun, he was just a few months old. Arjun is a young man now, and I was longing to have another child because I love kids. I am so glad that we have a new member in the family.”

Sandip adds, “I had learnt sign language many years ago for a show, so communication is not a problem. I have also got him admitted to an English medium school for specially-abled kids. Kabir is a bright boy.”

Sandip says he has never missed having a partner to shoulder the responsibility as a parent. He adds, “I was single when I adopted Arjun in 2007. Then in 2009, I got married to model Jesse (Randhawa). But later, we had differences and divorced in 2016. Both of us wanted our own child, but destiny had other plans. I was a single parent then, and I am a single parent now. Not having a partner has not stopped me from adopting another child.”

The actor-choreographer says, “I believe every child needs a home. I felt it was right to adopt and give a child all my love and the best upbringing. My cousin sisters have also adopted children and my parents have been a great support system when it comes to helping with my children’s upbringing.”
 
Now that Kabir is home, how does it feel? Sandip says, “I was nervous because I felt he would take time to adjust, but he has accepted our family very well. He is interested in dancing, but Arjun is not.”

Recently, there were talks of Sandip being in a relationship with actress Shantipriya. He says, “We are just friends, and she is glad that I have another child at home now. ”