‘SOME MAKERS ARE STILL RELUCTANT TO WORK WITH ME’

Sunny Leone admits that some consider her a risk to work with, but she is hopeful that this will change
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 18, 2022)

It has been a decade since actor Sunny Leone embarked on her Bollywood journey, opening a new chapter in her life. Leaving her career in the adult film industry in the West, Leone made her Bollywood debut with Jism 2 (2012). While there are days when her former profession affects her career, she has learnt not to get bothered by these hiccups.

“I’m happy for all the work that I’ve gotten to do, lots of good choices and bad choices,” Leone, who hails from Canada, tells us. Grateful for all that she has learnt, she adds, “Good things came out of even the bad choices. There has been a huge learning curve. Being able to meet some of the most amazing people and knowing that this is my home, I love every second of it. I am grateful to all the fans who supported me. Without them, I really would not be here.”

Leone, 41, whose real name is Karenjit Kaur Vohra, gained the limelight in India with Bigg Boss 5. Since then, she has featured in projects such as Ek Paheli Leela (2015), Raees (2017), Karenjit Kaur - The Untold Story Of Sunny Leone and Ragini MMS: Returns. Now, she has also signed a project with filmmaker Anurag Kashyap. Talking about her journey, the mother of three, shares, “When I entered the industry, a lot of people were reluctant to work with me. But there were many who wanted to work with me… Some of the more famous production houses and people are still probably reluctant.”

However, she is “completely fine” with it. “I believe that at some point, I might get a chance to work with some of these people. I thank Anurag and his team for picking up the phone and letting me audition for this part. It is really just about someone giving you the chance. I believe, the whole dynamic of my career will change after working with somebody like him,” she adds.

She was in Canada recently for an event celebrating south Asian arts — the same country where she was ridiculed for her life choices at one point. “People here used to say so many bad things and write me nasty letters... Now, to get such grand acceptance on such a big level, representing my city and youth centres, and being able to just enjoy being celebrated instead of facing scrutiny for my choices in life, it is an amazing moment for me as well as for my family,” Leone concludes.