Why Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor won’t say yes to a regional language project

Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 28, 2022)

When it comes to choosing projects, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor says he has always been selective. At a time when regional language content, or rather, cinema from all regions of the country, is making waves, the actor says he will stay put. Ask Kapoor, who hasn’t done much work and doesn’t have any potboilers, the reason, and he explains, “I don’t speak [any regional] language, so I will say no.”

We point out that dubbing is always an option if one can’t speak the language, and he says, “I am not that into regional cinema, so I don’t know how to say yes [to a project in a regional language]. I speak English fluently, though.”

He says he will “thrive” if Hollywood calls anytime in the future. “I believe going to Hollywood is a by-product of your work. A casting director looking for South Asian talent will watch everything being put out. I would like to believe Bhavesh Joshi Superhero (2018) and Thar will be much more palatable to those people. They are easy crossover films,” says the 31-year-old.

International reviews for Thar, he claims, have been “unbelievable”. Kapoor says, “International newspapers absolutely loved Thar. That’s a really good step. Maybe somebody will read the reviews, and they will be like, ‘Who’s this actor?’ I definitely think if an opportunity knocks on my door, I will be very comfortable with English. If given an opportunity [in Hollywood], I will definitely take it. I will thrive in that environment.”