vidyut jammwal

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; July 7, 2022)

He has won acclaim as an action hero not just in Bollywood, but globally. Someone who grew up training in martial arts, Vidyut Jammwal indeed has flaunted his mastery in this sphere many times over. While he has entertained the audience with high-octane stunts in his earlier films, in his next film, Khuda Haafiz Chapter 2 - Agni Pariksha, he promises that he’s going to move the viewers emotionally, too. In a conversation with BT, Vidyut talks about how he continues to push the envelope in the action genre, why he decided to turn producer and giving a chance to new talent. Excerpts:

How did the idea of Khuda Haafiz Chapter 2 - Agni Pariksha crop up, considering Khuda Haafiz was inspired by true events and it did conclude like the real story of the couple?
Khuda Haafiz saw a happy ending with the protagonist rescuing his kidnapped wife from the fresh traders and bringing her back. One fine evening, Faruk (Kabir, director), who was in touch with the couple, told me that it isn’t as easy as it looks for them. The woman, who went through a tough time after being kidnapped, continues to battle trauma as she struggles to lead a normal life here.

Some people judge her. So, she ends up switching her job constantly. Her husband, too, is facing trying times as he is also judged. Faruk told me that the couple is indeed going through an agni pariksha where people have sympathy for them, but they are not letting them be. He asked me, ‘Why don’t we make a story about what really happens after a happy ending?’

Your films are known to be action oriented, but this time around, given the emotional angle, it seems there is ample scope for you to show your acting skills?
From action to emotions, I have taken everything a notch higher in this project. Everything that I have learnt in the last 11 years, I have put it all to use in the movie. Not only acting, but I also invested my interests in other departments of filmmaking. Along with the team, I shared my thoughts on the music for the film. I have always loved Sufi music and we have three amazing Sufi songs in this film. I have also choreographed action stunts in this film.

Through your journey of 11 years, where you have largely done action films, do you feel the need to constantly reinvent yourself as an action hero to hold the audience’s interest with new stunts and moves?
I have been training in mixed martial arts for many years, and I am constantly thinking about new situations and moves that I could include in my films. I am just trained for it. This thought process is always on. The one thing I cannot imagine is getting hit by someone. In fact, when Faruk first came to me for Khuda Haafiz, I could not relate to the character as he is someone who gets hit. I am someone who can’t get hit in real life and even in reel life. But then, the way he narrated the story and the emotional angle, it made me think ki chalo screen pe maar kha hi lete hai (laughs!).

You launched your own production house this year. What kind of content do you want to back?
My number one motive is to work with the talented bunch of people who I have come across in the last 11 years. There are a few who are talented and still waiting for an opportunity. I want to be a part of their journey. Jahan talent dikhega mujhe, mujhe unke saath kaam karna hai. The first project I am making is IB 71. I am collaborating with Sankalp Reddy (director), whose work I have watched before. A few people told me that he’s arrogant, but I wanted to form my own opinion and reached out to him. I realized that he isn’t arrogant, but quiet and keeps to himself. I just want to work with such people, who I genuinely believe in, even if nobody else does. As an actor, when I started off, I worked towards finding my tribe. You need to find your tribe. It takes a while. It isn’t too difficult an industry to be in. People talk about these never-ending struggle stories… haan, thoda samay lagta hai to find people who believe in you. So, Faruk and all the people that I have collaborated with in the last 11 years are a part of my tribe. I don’t know if I am getting my due in Bollywood, but whatever I am getting here is all on my own.

You have been an action star for 11 years. Do you want to explore genres that are drastically different?
I am one of the top martial artists in the world. I represent our country internationally. Ab achanak one day I can’t get up and take a plunge into something else na. I have changed the way India sees action as a genre. Before me, and I say it with great pride, there was nobody who would do real action… everybody was using harnesses, stunt doubles etc. I have raised the bar, and today there are actors who want to match that and be a part of the action genre. I am happy that India is churning out great action movies. Talking about doing something different, Khuda Haafiz gave me that opportunity to go beyond as the role is high on emotion too. I don’t see myself following a pattern for sure. My formula is simple, you find talent and you work with them. They don’t necessarily have to be the ones who are the biggest in the industry today.

khuda haafiz 2 vidyut jaamwal photo