Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 9, 2022)

While many would have expected Kamya Panjabi to take up a new daily soap soon after Shakti Astitva Ke Ehsaas Ki wrapped up in September last year, the actress waited patiently for a good opportunity to come her way. She is now returning with Rashmi Sharma’s Sanjog, in which she will play Gauri, a fierce, ambitious and materialistic mother.

She says, “I was offered a few shows but I didn’t take them up, as I didn’t want to be associated with any run-of-the-mill project. Sirf paise kamaane hote toh phir alag baat hoti. Of course, I want to make money but I also seek work for satisfaction. I am my own competition. So, I want to try something new with every show and improve my graph.”

A common complaint in the TV industry is that it prefers young, new faces, but Kamya is confident that her show will strike a chord with the audience. She says, “Several shows have wrapped up in just six months in recent times. One needs to understand the importance of a good mix of actors. Naye talent ko bilkul mauka milna chahiye, but not at the cost of seasoned actors. I am a proud supporting actor and shows need actors like me for longevity. But no one wants to spend on seasoned artistes, who are professional and talented. Jisko acting ka A nahi aata aap usko laakhon rupaye de dete hain aur jinko aata hai unko aap Rs. 5,000 dete hain.”

The actress was also certain that she wouldn’t take a pay cut, which was another reason for a 10-month wait. She says, “I can compromise a bit for a great role, but won’t settle for a drastic pay cut. I am hungry for a good role. I know my capabilities and the extent I can go to play my part convincingly. I don’t aspire to be called a star, but a good actor who can play any part effortlessly.”