‘I HAVE NEVER SHIED AWAY FROM SUPPORTING THE SCRIPT’
Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; June 11, 2022)

After playing glamorous parts in quintessential commercial films, Nushrratt Bharuccha gradually moved towards content-driven movies that revolved around social issues. In Janhit Mein Jaari, which released yesterday, the actress is seen in a similar light, but this time around, she goes that extra mile as she takes on an unconventional subject that has her playing a condom saleswoman. In a conversation with BT, Nushrratt talks about taking on hatke characters and the new turn in her career. Excerpts:

In Janhit Mein Jaari, you play the role of a saleswoman appointed to sell condoms. How did you react to this role and weren’t you sceptical of playing the part considering it revolved around sex and condoms – subjects that are still fairly taboo in our country?
When I was offered this role, not once did I feel awkward or wonder whether or not I should do this film. Ek phase tha, jab bolte the ki ladki filmon mein kaam nahi kar sakti, phir bolne lage ladki late-night call centre mein kaam nahi kar sakti… see, women here have always faced these hurdles, but we overcame them. I did the same with this project. Also, I was confident about it as Raaj Shaandilyaa (writer/producer of the film), who is known to make clean comedies and had directed me in Dream Girl, was associated with it. Had it come from someone else, I would be cautious, but here I was sure ke subject bhale yeh ho, yeh log kuch crass nahi banayenge and that the film will cater to a family audience.

When were you first exposed to sex education?
I think I was in 7th grade when I heard about condoms for the first time during the sex education session in school. The learning from that period was further inculcated and cemented in my mind when I returned home. My parents learnt that I had a sex education class, and so they sat me down and reiterated it to me from a different perspective. I feel information about topics as sensitive as these should be imparted by schools and parents in tandem. Also, it is important that parents talk about sex to their children because kids trust their parents. What if they learn about it from the wrong person and develop a wrong perspective about it?

You started your career with all-out glamourous roles, but in the past couple of years, we have seen you move towards hatke characters, which are probably giving you more scope to showcase your potential as an actress. What do you attribute this change in your career to?
It is all thanks to the audience. As actresses, there has been a point in our careers where we were fighting for one scene or dialogue in films. There was a time when we wondered what were we doing in this film? And why were we standing in the background? So, actresses have always carved for powerful parts. However, the audience, maybe, was somewhere not ready to see us like that. I think this shift happened over a period of time. Today, there are women who are striding ahead in their careers without any support. They are running their own house. Also, there are men who have seen women in their families rise and be the frontrunners of the house. And so, their stories have become inspirational. My father has seen me struggle and reach where I am. So, a subject that is driven by a woman will interest him, and that holds true for other men as well. Woh connection aur relatability aa gayi hai. So, the more extraordinary the story is (about a woman), the keener the audience is to watch it.

Would you say that now you are being offered challenging parts as the lens through which filmmakers are viewing you has changed?
Personally, as an actor, I am extremely happy with the kind of space I have created for myself. At the time of Pyaar Ka Punchnama, Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2 and Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety, my aunt would say, “Agli baar tu kuch aisi picture kyun nahi karti jahan par tu actually kuch kar rahi ho.” Then, when films like Chhalaang, Chhorii or a web project like Ajeeb Daastaans happened, I started feeling satisfied as an actor. Even my family was happy about this change. It has been a fun, fruitful and rewarding journey. It wasn’t easy though, and yes, there were emotional setbacks along the way too. If you are considered for a movie, but things don’t work out, then it’s fine, but what hurts the most is when you are not even considered for a particular project. In that phase, your mind can either drown you or lead you. I chose the latter by focusing on my work and celebrating the work that came my way. Personally, I would like to balance out my choices. However, post Chhorii there has been an influx of female-oriented scripts coming my way. Filmmakers tell me that when I started out, they could not imagine me beyond my glam avatar, but that has changed now.

Professionally, you seem to be in a happy space, but what about your personal life? You have been single, don’t you feel the need for someone special in your life?
My personal life has gone into some black hole (laughs!) Honestly, you need two things to have a healthy romantic life time and a person. Chalo, ek koi ladka bhi ho mere paas as an option toh main time nikaal bhi lu. Par koi hain hi nahi aas pass. I am constantly shooting. I don’t want to date somebody from the same field as me. Otherwise, the conversations tend to revolve around work. I would prefer to hang out with somebody who comes from another background and a different school of thought. But where do I find a human like this? I have been advised to get on dating apps, which I am not into! So, let’s see…
-----------------------------------------------
Nushrratt Bharuccha doesn’t allow her prejudices or beliefs to impact her film choices
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 11, 2022)

Actor Nushrratt Bharuccha says she’s always strived to steer away from her prejudices and beliefs while picking projects, and her latest release, Janhit Mein Jaari, echoes that. “I started by [playing] the girl no one liked, an annoying and manipulative girlfriend. I have come from hate to this point. I don’t think any actress would have chosen a role like that,” she says, referring to the Pyaar Ka Punchnama franchise.

She continues, “At one point, I played a villain (Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety; 2018). I have never shied away from supporting the script and the need of the role beyond my own prejudices, beliefs or biases. I have three more female-led films lined up. It’s not like I am going out there and looking for such subjects. I think the most rewarding part is that the audience is liking it.”

The 37-year-old is seen selling condoms in a small town in Madhya Pradesh in her latest release, as the film aims to start a conversation around illegal abortions, overpopulation and the taboo attached to condoms. “The subject gave me an opportunity to headline a subject that I don’t consider taboo. Very rarely have I succumbed to societal or peer pressure, so it (doing the film) was not a difficult choice,” the actor shares.

While Bharuccha and the makers are proud of the film’s subject, they had a tough time promoting it. “We go on several shows to promote a film. All of them told us that we can’t talk about this topic (condoms) on national television. I don’t get that. This film got a U/A certificate and the censor board gave us a clean chit. Then I wonder what is it that will impact the audience negatively,” the Dream Girl (2019), Chhorii and Ajeeb Daastaans (both 2021) actor ends.
-----------------------------------------------
Nushrratt, who plays a condom saleswoman in Janhit Mein Jaari, on how it’s important to give out message of safe sex to people
Uma Ramasubramanian (MID-DAY; June 11, 2022)

Nushrratt Bharuccha's recent release Janhit Mein Jaari sees her as a small-town woman who sells condoms for a living despite societal resistance. With the social comedy, director Jai Basantu Singh hopes to remove the hesitance around condom use. Bharuccha says she didn’t think twice before diving into the film’s world, eager to take the subject to people. “I never thought whether other actors would hesitate [to take on the role]. I don’t think about the taboos around the subject, I just go ahead and do it. We need to break the taboo around condoms. That was what the team pushed for,” states the actor. 

Janhit Mein Jaari is not the first Hindi film in recent times to tackle the issue head-on. Where Aparshakti Khurana’s Helmet (2021) highlighted the importance of safe sex, the upcoming Chhhatriwali has a similar theme, with Rakul Preet Singh playing a condom tester. Bharuccha says it’s not unusual to have two or more films revolving around the same subject.

“Just because a similar topic has been attempted before, it [doesn’t imply that] we shouldn’t make a film on it. There are so many love stories, each made from a different point of view. So, I don’t get worried about it. What we have made is different [from the other two movies].”

Nushrratt Bharuccha: Need to break the taboo around condoms