‘NOW, IT IS TIME TO MAKE MY FILM’

Actor Rohit Bose Roy, who shot for four films and did 50 shows of a play recently, will take a break from acting to direct a project
Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 9, 2022)

Actor Rohit Bose Roy is excited about the kind of work that’s coming his way and he’s been quite busy in the recent months. But now, the actor has decided to take a break from acting: “I am going to focus on my directorial. I have worked on the script, which is ready, and I will meet people to narrate the story. The next 18 months will be all about my film. I have had a great time as an actor and have done some good work, especially since 2016 and Kaabil (2017). But now, it is time to make my film.”

Roy recently wrapped up shooting for five films, “all in different languages”, including a British venture. He says, “It has been so heartening to shoot for five projects in the last one and a half years. I always had gratitude in my heart, but these projects have made me more grateful,” he shares.

Talking about his projects, Roy says, “My debut in Kannada cinema is with an interesting subject. I play a cop in the Gujarati and Bengali films, which were fun, though in the latter, my character ages from 32 to 75. As I can speak Gujarati and Bengali well, it wasn’t much of a problem. I play the protagonist in the British sci-fi film, Irah. It was wonderful to shoot, and then there was a Hindi film, Forensic, too. I also shot for two web shows in between all this,” he grins.

If these projects weren’t enough, he also played the titular role in a Dr B R Ambedkar (late political leader) play. The makers were impressed and increased the number of shows, he says. “It has been a good run. It was one of the biggest musical plays in India. We had 50 shows in 25 days. I didn’t even have enough time to prepare for the role, and was unsure if I would be able to pull it off. Most importantly, I don’t look like Babasaheb (Ambedkar), so I had to work hard to look convincing. Films hoti rehti hain, but I am really proud of this play,” he states.

Roy adds, “For Babasaheb, I asked the makers why those chose me and their answer boosted my confidence. They said, ‘You have the same vulnerability that Babasaheb had on his face. You are an outsider, who fought to make your path in the industry. Even after 25-30 years, you are still fighting on. And that’s what Babasaheb was, he kept on fighting for the Dalits right till the end’.”