Riya Sharma (BOMBAY TIMES; June 2, 2022)

KK’s voice helped him land a seat in DU’s Kirori Mal College, and the performer even topped the ECA (extra-curricular activities) admissions list in 1986 in the singing category, says Sumitra Mohanty, then-staff advisor for MUSOC, the music society of KMC, as she remembers one of her favourite students. 

“It is very sad for a teacher to lose a student,” she says, adding, “He was such a remarkable and talented student. He topped the list of ECA admissions in music, and he deserved it. I always took pride in saying that I found him through ECA admissions.”

Many years after his graduation, she recalls him performing at the college again. “There was so much crowd around him and I was in the staff room. He came to meet me and hugged me, we chatted for a long time and it was so nice. When he was performing, I was there, listening to him but it was getting late, so I slipped away before his performance ended. I was told he was searching for me and said, ‘Where is ma’am? She is not here anymore, main itna kharab gaa raha tha kya?’” she says, adding, “It is heartbreaking to say goodbye to him, it is such a sad day for us, personally.”
--------------------------------------------
He made us Dilli college guys proud - Mini Mathur

Mini Mathur paid tribute to KK on social media, with a post that read, “KK was always a star. From the moment he stepped on to stage in Delhi University and swept every single competition as the Kirori Mal College participant to singing every block buster song that represents the coming ofage ofan entire generation. I knew him since then – the quintessential “good guy” – charming yet shy. Totally committed to his family. Fit, never prone to the wastage of youth. Watching him reach the hearts of millions used to give us all Dilli college waalas strange pride. (sic)”

She added, “Being @kabirkhankk’s college buddy ... he HAD to sing at least one song in each of his films. Everytime we bumped into him.. he would say milte hain yaar.. bas iss concert ke baad. The irony. I cannot believe life has been so unfair to one of the nicest people in the hood.”