BOMBAY TIMES (May 12, 2022)

The film Minimum, which revolves around Indian immigrants, marks the directorial debut of writer-actor Rumana Molla. The international drama set in Belgium deals with transactional marriage and migration with love, affection and friendship at the core.

Produced by Shiladitya Bora and Radhika Lavu, the movie is slated to go on floors this June. The film’s cast features talented actors like Saba Azad, Namit Das, Geetanjali Kulkarni and Rumana in major roles. It also has four ex-Berlinale talents, writer director Rumana, director of photography Pooja Gupte, producer Shiladitya Bora and line producer Marija Stojnic.

Saba says, “I knew I had to be a part of Minimum as soon as I read it. It’s a very unusual story.” The actor, who plays a French tutor in the film, feels the character of Laurie is possibly the toughest she has taken up. “That’s because I have to do this in a language that I’m not familiar with. That’s what pulled me to the film, I knew it would test my abilities as an artist,” she shares.

Geetanjali adds, “It is an honest and detailed depiction of the life of an immigrant family. The character I play is of a person who is a survivor trying her best so that she and her son could live a better life.”

Talking about what drew him to the project, Namit says, “The name itself intrigued me. Whatever Shiladitya does, I find it very hatke and soulful. As I drowned myself in the script, I realised that it’s a deceptively simple film, with complex layers. I’m fascinated by the world of these characters.”

About working with debutant director Rumana, he says, “In my first meeting with her, I realised that she knows what she wants, and that’s the best quality for a director. I love her warmth and her vision. Minimum is her world that she dreamt about and is bringing to life – and I can’t wait to dive into it!”

Rumana says, “I feel blessed to have such an amazing cast. I have been throwing curveballs left, right and centre, and they have embraced each one of them at every step of the way. The level of enthusiasm and commitment that I have observed is rare to come by.”

Minimum, produced by Platoon One Films and Ellanar Films, will aim for a June 2023 release.