BOMBAY TIMES (May 19, 2022)

Deepti Naval and Kalki Koechlin-starrer, Goldfish, is set to have its world premiere at the prestigious 75th Cannes Film Festival on May 20 and 21. Set in London, the film, which deals with dementia, is the first international collaboration between Deepti and Kalki. The movie also stars the talented Rajit Kapur in a pivotal role. Directed by Pushan Kriplani, Goldfish is produced by Amit Saxena’s Splendid Films (USA), with Pooja Chauhan as executive producer.

Deepti Naval shares, “I connected with the film immediately when I heard the story in three lines. Something inside me said that this is for me, this is what I have been waiting for. Maybe I felt that way because I saw my mother go through Alzheimer’s and dementia.”

Kalki Koechlin says, “The film’s cast included Indians from all over the world, and all these actors had their own accents, which is something we’ve never seen in a film – the diversity of Indian accents and therefore of the people of India.”

Talking about the film’s global appeal, producer Amit Saxena says, “I am proud and lucky that Goldfishis the first film under our banner. It has global appeal and should speak to people around the world.”

Executive Producer Pooja Chauhan adds, “The film speaks to a sense of community, something COVID reminded us about, and it deals with dementia – the pandemic to come.”

Reflecting on the idea behind the film, director Pushan Kripalani says, “Goldfish explores the ideas of identity through two women. One is unsure of who she is because she lives between two cultures, neither completely her own, and the other is stuck in a land not her own, now because of her disease, with her identity ephemeral. It seeks to address the ideas of duty, love and painful history.”