What Makers Of Shehzada Said After Kartik Aaryan Was Accused Of Being 'Extremely Unprofessional'

Harshada Rege (BOMBAY TIMES; May 30, 2022)

After delivering a power-packed performance in Dhamaka, Kartik Aaryan is now flying high with the success of Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2, which had the audience returning to the theatres in large numbers. In a conversation with Bombay Times, Kartik tells us how he is enjoying his success and popularity, and even with so much of it, he never takes it for granted. Excerpts:

Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 has given not just you, but also Bollywood a reason to rejoice. The film has clocked in the biggest opening weekend for a Hindi film this year. Did you anticipate the film to be such a huge success, especially in these times?
Honestly, I had a great feeling about Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 right from the time I heard the script. When the teaser came out, the kind of response we got from the audience for the first asset itself was really exciting. The film was made for families and groups of friends to go out and enjoy together. So, we always hoped it would pull in the masses, but it totally exceeded our expectations with the massive reception it actually got...with the audience whistling and clapping and the film getting the biggest opening weekend for a Hindi film of the year, and crossing the Rs. 100-crore mark so quickly. I am really glad that the audience is loving Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 with all their heart and having so much fun watching it more than once in theatres.

To what do you attribute the success of this film?
In a post-pandemic time, to be able to deliver a film that reaches such an impressive number within its first 10 days alone is one of the most surreal feelings as an actor. I attribute the success, firstly, to the entire team who worked on it for three years, the makers who had this vision and made it come true so impeccably and most importantly, to the audience who have been showering it with so much love and have accepted us with open arms.

Horror comedy is a genre that hasn’t been explored as much in Bollywood. What pushed you to pick this role and now that the film is a success, do you feel vindicated?
I have always said this, I don’t want to restrict myself to any specific type of role. If I like a script, I will take it up irrespective of the genre the film belongs to. Even my other upcoming films are quite different from each other. Shehzada is a full-on entertainer, while Freddy is in a thriller space. Sajid Nadiadwala’s untitled film is a love story and Captain India is an inspiring film. Horror comedy is a comparatively lesser-explored genre, and it is a tricky space to ace, but Anees Bazmee sir has done such a phenomenal job there with Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2, I’m glad I could be a part of this iconic world.

You didn’t have any connection in the industry or belong to any film family when you stepped into the industry. In fact, you didn’t have a grand launch and began your career with filmmakers who themselves were fairly new in the business. In that sense, your journey and your rise to stardom is quite an interesting story...
Yes, a movie can be made on my journey (laughs). Getting that first break as an outsider is such a huge task that it felt impossible at every stage. But giving up was never an option. It was definitely quite a struggle to get started and I had to go for a million auditions until Pyaar Ka Punchnama (PKP) finally happened. PKP did decent business for a small film, I was even recognized by the audience and critics as the monologue guy, but still, it took a long time for the journey to kickstart. I had to still audition. Being an outsider can be tough, but the trick is to keep trying and ensure that your heart is in the right place. My passion was always to act and entertain the audience, so keeping that as my goal, I kept trying until I made a mark. Even today, with 100-crore films to my credit, I don’t sit back and take it lightly. I know that I have to continue the hard work and double it because this job demands a lot and I am ready to give my 100 per cent. I owe all my success and stardom to the audience, I am where I am today because of their endless love and support.

You are often looked upon by filmmakers as a complete commercial package — someone who has struck a chord with the masses, has been successful in various genres and enjoys an immense following on social media, too. In your opinion, what is it about you that the audience connects with and relates to the most?
I am very grateful to hear that and glad that my passion is speaking for me today. I think the reason for the connect is that I myself have been that audience and I have come from amongst the crowd. So, when I see the love from my fans, I try my best to give back as much as I can. During Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 promotions, I visited various cities across different states. Each city welcomed me warmly and showered so much love that the feeling is unexplainable and that’s the feeling I live for. So it’s the audience and my mutual admiration for each other that I love. Also, I don’t see any reason for me to change. I was the same Kartik Aaryan before being an actor, I am the same right now. I am very connected to my roots and my family, too, supports me a lot and, at the same time, helps me stay grounded.

It’s obviously an exciting time for you. Are you in celebration mode, or are you back to work already?
I celebrated Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2’s success on its first weekend itself. I went to Gaiety cinema in Mumbai last weekend and made sure to celebrate the big success with the audience. For me, that was my celebration mode. I danced with them, I talked to them about the film and of course, seeing the ‘House Full’ board made me very happy. I have always said that I’m a fan-made star. So, my celebration would be incomplete without them.

This success has put you in the top league of actors in the industry. How do you feel about this shift?
All I can say is that I feel closer to my goal of wanting to be the No. 1 actor and the feeling is great (smiles).