Playback singer Kanika Kapoor tied the knot with businessman Gautam Hathiramani. (Photo | Instagram/ Kanika Kapoor)
Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; May 28, 2022)

Singer Kanika Kapoor, who is known for her tracks like Baby Doll and Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan, tied the knot with NRI businessman Gautam Hathiramani in London recently. The close-knit family affair had Kanika getting emotional on seeing her kids participate in the festivities with gusto. Kanika, who was previously married to London-based businessman Raj Chandok, got divorced in 2012. In an exclusive conversation with us, Kanika opens up about taking the plunge again, her 15-yearlong friendship with Gautam that ultimately translated into marriage and how her three kids accepted this new phase in her life. Excerpts:

You recently tied the knot with businessman Gautam Hathiramani in London. Tell us something about your love story and how it culminated in marriage?
This is something I never thought would happen to my family and me. I am full of gratitude. Gautam and I have been friends for almost 15 years. He is someone who has always had my back. We have been like best friends, who knew everything about each other’s lives. I feel that it is difficult to find somebody who will accept you for who you are in today’s times. Gautam accepts me for who I am...a mother, an artiste, a daughter and a friend. He proposed a year ago, and I was surprised as I wasn’t sure whether we would ever get married. It was because of my own doubts.

The fact that I am divorced with three children, I wasn’t sure whether I would be accepted by him and his family. But I was wrong. Today, I want to tell women that no matter what the circumstances, in the end, happiness awaits you.

Gautam and you have known each other for 15 years. How has your equation evolved over these years?
Through these years, he has been my go-to person. Whenever I faced any stress, I would talk to him about it. He has always asked me to focus on myself and steer clear of the negativity. He’s seen me grow as an artiste. In fact, he was one of those friends who heard the initial scratches of my song Baby Doll in London. He has seen me manage my responsibilities as a mother and an artiste. On the one hand, I was raising my kids, who are based in London and on the other, I was working in Mumbai and travelling the world for concerts. Gautam has been a strong support system as a friend, and I realised this over the years, which is why I was actually the one who asked him to marry me! Well, not once, but twice (laughs!). The first time I asked him was in 2014 after Baby Doll released. However, he just rolled his eyes because he thought I was joking. Then I asked him again in 2020, and that is when he understood that I was serious about it. That’s when our love story began. And it was only in August last year that he proposed to me formally. For the last 10 years, I was lonely. I am happy that I am married now. As an artiste I might be surrounded by people and perform in front of a huge crowd, but after those work hours, I would feel lonely.

How did your three children — Yuvraj (19), Aayana (17) and Samara (15) — react to your decision to get married? Have they fully embraced Gautam as a part of the family now?
I would be lying if I said that they didn’t feel anxious about it. I remember a few days before the wedding, my youngest daughter said to me, ‘Now we are going to give you away.’ I was surprised by that reaction and told her that not just me, we all are marrying him because you all are a part of me. Having said that, my kids have been very gracious about this new development in my life. Also, they have known Gautam for a long time, too. Gautam and his family have been wonderful and welcoming not just to me, but to my children and parents as well.

Your children actively participated in your marriage ceremony, be it walking you down the aisle or being by your side during the pheras.
Yes, that’s true. It was quite an emotional moment for me when my son walked me to the mandap and when my daughters were beside me while taking the pheras. I could see it in their eyes that they all were so happy for me. They even danced at the sangeet on my songs. I am also glad that so many of my friends from the music industry surprised me by becoming a part of my wedding ceremony.

Is a reception in Mumbai underway for your friends from B-Town? And have you planned your honeymoon?
We would love to host something intimate for our friends and family in Mumbai very soon. Also, I don’t believe in the term honeymoon because I fear the phrase, ‘The honeymoon period is over.’ Currently, the two of us are busy with work commitments and we plan to go on a vacation in July.