‘I am inspired by Bollywood films’
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 5, 2022)

Hollywood actor Jake Gyllenhaal is a fan of the Hindi film industry. Ask why and he says, “The skill that many Indian actors have is just unsurpassed. I am inspired by Indian culture, particularly Bollywood films. To be able to sing, dance and act at the same time is a real requirement, which we don’t really have much in Hollywood. I have so much admiration for the filmmaking and acting coming out of India.”

It’s not just the revelry of Indian cinema that has carved a special place in the heart of the 41-year-old, who grew up in showbiz after stepping into the arc lights at the age of 10, in 1991, with the film, City Slickers. “Indian culture is so beautiful, even Indian literature. There are so many things about India that are incredible,” Gyllenhaal gushes over a video call from Paris (France).

The actor visited India two years ago and has fond memories from the short visit. “I was there (in India) right before the pandemic. I feel blessed to have been there even for a short time. You have found a huge fan of India in me… the colours, fashion are incredible. And I haven’t started [talking] about the food, which is probably number one for me,” adds the actor, who was pleasantly surprised that his latest film, Ambulance, released in India on Holi last month. He calls it a “nice” coincidence.

Shooting for the film in “the real space of an ambulance” wasn’t easy for Gyllenhaal: “It was really difficult to act and move. It made me realise that people save lives in these vehicles. I have seen ambulances pass by many times… It made me have so much admiration for the people who actually do the real work in there.”